Which specialist consultations may be indicated in the treatment of pediatric urinary tract infection (UTI)?

Updated: Mar 19, 2019
  • Author: Donna J Fisher, MD; Chief Editor: Russell W Steele, MD  more...
  • Print

Consultation with a urologist is not typically required at presentation in pediatric patients with an initial febrile UTI, unless obstruction of the urinary tract is evident. However, patients with VUR of grade 4 or worse should be referred to a pediatric nephrologist or urologist. Consultation with an infectious disease specialist may be useful if there is reason to suspect infection with an unusual organism or one that is antibiotic resistant.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!