Which specialist consultations are indicated in the treatment of Kawasaki disease?

Updated: Jul 29, 2018
  • Author: Tina K Sosa, MD; Chief Editor: Russell W Steele, MD  more...
  • Print

A cardiologist should be consulted for the following:

  • Assistance with determining the appropriate timing of initial and/or subsequent echocardiographic studies

  • Management of patients with electrocardiogram or echocardiogram abnormalities

  • Anticoagulation management

  • To determine whether other studies to assess cardiac function (including coronary artery angiography) are required

  • Long term follow up and monitoring of patient with confirmed or suspected KD

Other consulting services may be of value depending on the patient's clinical presentations and the differential diagnosis. These may include infectious disease specialists, rheumatologists, and dermatologists.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!