Which specialist consultations may be needed for the treatment of herpes simplex virus (HSV)?

Updated: Feb 27, 2019
  • Author: J Michael Klatte, MD; Chief Editor: Russell W Steele, MD  more...
  • Print

Consultation with physicians experienced in caring for seriously ill patients with infectious diseases is recommended for neonatal herpes simplex virus infections, herpes simplex virus encephalitis or disseminated disease, and herpes simplex virus infection in patients who are immunocompromised. Such physicians may include neonatologists, critical care specialists, and infectious diseases physicians.

A consultation with an ophthalmologist is imperative in the management of herpes simplex virus eye infections.

For a child with genital herpes simplex virus infection that is suspected to be a result of child abuse (see the image below), consultation with social services and/or a physician experienced in managing child and/or sexual abuse is warranted.

Cutaneous herpes simplex virus (HSV) lesions in a Cutaneous herpes simplex virus (HSV) lesions in a child in whom sexual abuse is suspected.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!