Which specialist consultations are beneficial to patients with mold allergy?

Updated: Dec 02, 2020
  • Author: Shih-Wen Huang, MD; Chief Editor: Harumi Jyonouchi, MD  more...
  • Print

An allergist/immunologist and/or a pulmonologist should be consulted for the diagnosis and long-term follow-up care of patients with any conditions related to mold allergy.

An allergist/immunologist can offer advice on how to avoid allergens and may perform skin tests or initiate a course of immunotherapy in patients with allergic rhinitis or conjunctivitis if clinically indicated.

Pulmonologists can offer valuable expertise on the care of patients with ABPA, ABPM, or EAA, especially if the patient progresses to chronic stage or end-stage lung disease.

An otolaryngologist can help with the surgical removal of allergic mucin or mucus plugging that obstructs the ostium of sinus tracts in patients with AFS.

A radiologist can help identify sinusitis or adenoid hypertrophy.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!