When is consultation with an ophthalmologist indicated for patients with acute conjunctivitis (pink eye)?

Updated: Mar 03, 2021
  • Author: Michael A Silverman, MD, FACEP; Chief Editor: Barry E Brenner, MD, PhD, FACEP  more...
  • Print


Consult with an ophthalmologist for all serious eye complaints. Simple conjunctivitis usually can be followed up by the patient's primary care provider. Discuss with an ophthalmologist solutions to questions or equivocal diagnosis. Neisserial conjunctivitis is an ocular emergency and should be viewed as an ocular finding of systemic disease. Ophthalmologic consultation is essential.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!