Which specialists should be consulted for Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS)?

Updated: Jul 14, 2021
  • Author: Michael T Andary, MD, MS; Chief Editor: Milton J Klein, DO, MBA  more...
  • Print

Consultation with a neurologist can be helpful in the initial diagnosis, workup, and treatment of patients admitted to the medical floor with GBS.

Critical care specialists may be required for patients in the ICU to help manage respiratory failure and multiple medical complications.

Consultation with a pulmonologist may be needed to perform workup and to manage respiratory issues, such as acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), pneumonia, and respiratory failure.

Consultation with a cardiologist may be required if significant cardiovascular complications, such as labile blood pressure and cardiac arrhythmias, arise from the associated autonomic dysfunction.

Consultation with a surgeon may be required for the placement of tracheostomies, enteral feeding tubes, and central lines.

Physical medicine and rehabilitation specialists (physiatrists) should evaluate patients for impairments and disabilities arising from GBS and should help to determine the most appropriate setting for and intensity of rehabilitation care and assist with their rehabilitation and return to function.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!