Which specialist consultations are needed for the diagnosis and treatment of fungal pneumonia?

Updated: Jun 21, 2019
  • Author: Romeo A Mandanas, MD, FACP; Chief Editor: Guy W Soo Hoo, MD, MPH  more...
  • Print


A pulmonologist may perform diagnostic procedures (eg, bronchoscopy, bronchoalveolar lavage, transbronchial biopsy).

Interventional radiologists can perform needle aspirations, when necessary, for diagnosis.

Patients who are severely ill and progressively hypoxic may require intensive care, ventilatory support, and pressor support in the ICU under the care of a critical care intensivist.

Rheumatologists can assist with the rheumatologic syndromes manifesting with the endemic mycoses.

Infectious disease consultants may assist with the intricacies of antifungal treatment, especially with respect to the exact drugs, dose, duration, therapy length, maintenance treatment, and follow-up.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!