Which specialists should be consulted in the treatment of hospital-acquired pneumonia (HAP) and ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP)?

Updated: Apr 15, 2021
  • Author: Kartika Shetty, MD, FACP; Chief Editor: John L Brusch, MD, FACP  more...
  • Print


Consult an infectious disease specialist to assess the microbiology of the specimens obtained from the patient, to rule out the mimics of nosocomial pneumonia, and to administer empiric or specific antimicrobial therapy.

Consult a pulmonologist to help with mechanical ventilation (often required in patients with nosocomial pneumonia).

Other consultations include the following, if indicated:

  • Rheumatologist (if the patient appears to have lupus or SLE pneumonitis)
  • Oncologist (for possible pulmonary infiltrates caused by a lymphangitic spread of a malignancy)

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!