Which specialist consultations are beneficial for patients with group D streptococcus (GDS) infections?

Updated: Mar 02, 2021
  • Author: Shirin A Mazumder, MD, FIDSA; Chief Editor: Michael Stuart Bronze, MD  more...
  • Print

Consult an infectious diseases specialist to confirm the diagnosis of Streptococcus group D infection and to recommend treatment for endocarditis or bacteremia.

Consult a cardiologist to evaluate heart function, including echocardiography findings.

A cardiovascular surgeon can assist with valvular replacement, if indicated. Having the cardiac surgeon involved from the start is a good practice in case the patient's heart condition abruptly deteriorates.

Obtain a consultation with a neurosurgeon for possible clipping if mycotic aneurysms are present.

Obtain a consultation with a general surgeon or gastroenterologist to investigate and treat colonic or hepatobiliary disease.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!