Which medical personnel provide consultation to patients with rabies?

Updated: Jun 21, 2019
  • Author: Sandra G Gompf, MD, FACP, FIDSA; Chief Editor: Michael Stuart Bronze, MD  more...
  • Print

Consultation with infectious disease specialists, neurologists, and neurosurgeons may be necessary to assist in diagnosis and management of patients with rabies or patients exposed to rabies.

Consultation with public health authorities is appropriate to assist in management of bite wound prophylaxis and animal epidemiology. [49]

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention maintains a 24/7 Emergency Operations Center for consultation at 770-488-7100.

Also, consult with animal control officers and veterinarians for the management, disposal, and testing of animals that have attacked and injured a human.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!