What specialist consultations are needed for the treatment of transfusion reactions?

Updated: Jan 12, 2021
  • Author: S Gerald Sandler, MD, FCAP, FACP; Chief Editor: Emmanuel C Besa, MD  more...
  • Print

The possibility of an acute transfusion reaction should trigger an immediate consultation with the medical director of the hospital's blood bank or a designee (eg, a clinical pathology resident, transfusion medicine fellow). Depending on the findings, the blood bank consultant may arrange for microbiologic stains and cultures of the residual contents of the blood product container, clerical checks for patient and product identification in the laboratory, repeat compatibility testing using a freshly collected blood sample from the recipient, or other pertinent diagnostic studies.

The diagnosis of an acute hemolytic transfusion reaction should trigger consultation with a nephrologist to ensure optimal prophylactic measures to prevent renal damage. [61]

A hematology consultation is appropriate if a hemolytic transfusion reaction or bacterial contamination precipitates DIC.

A clinical diagnosis of bacterial contamination of a transfused blood product should trigger an infectious diseases consultation.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!