Which specialist consultations are beneficial to patients with asthma?

Updated: Oct 07, 2019
  • Author: John J Oppenheimer, MD; Chief Editor: Michael A Kaliner, MD  more...
  • Print


Consult a pulmonologist, allergist/immunologist, or both for any of the following:

  • Difficulty controlling disease after 3–6 months, including frequent attacks, need for rescue inhaler (>1 rescue inhaler use per mo), use of oral steroids more than 2 times per year, or step-4 therapy or higher required (or step 2 or higher if aged < 3 years)

  • Poor quality of life

  • Immunotherapy under consideration

  • Intensive education needed

  • Refractory cough

  • Abnormal chest radiograph findings

  • Life-threatening asthma exacerbation

  • Patient or parent request

Appropriate referral is needed if significant psychologic, social, or family problems are present.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!