Which specialist consultations are indicated in the treatment of CNS lupus?

Updated: May 04, 2021
  • Author: Pradeep C Bollu, MD; Chief Editor: Niranjan N Singh, MBBS, MD, DM, FAHS, FAANEM  more...
  • Print

Generally, new-onset systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) diagnosed based on neurologic symptoms should be managed in conjunction with a rheumatologist or internist.

If neurologic signs or symptoms present in a patient with SLE that is well established, the need for additional consultations beyond the treating internist or rheumatologist is determined by the presence and severity of concomitant organ disease.

Cerebral lupus, like the neurologic vasculitides, is best managed jointly by neurologists, clinical immunologists, renal physicians, rheumatologists, and the primary physicians.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!