When should a specialist be consulted in cases of chickenpox (varicella)?

Updated: Aug 31, 2020
  • Author: Anthony J Papadopoulos, MD; Chief Editor: Dirk M Elston, MD  more...
  • Print

For most patients in the pediatric population, a pediatrician can provide treatment. Adults without severe complications can be seen by a primary care physician or internal medicine specialist. In those patients who are immunocompromised, consultation with an infectious disease specialist with knowledge of the most recent pharmacotherapeutic advances is highly advised.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!