When is inpatient care indicated following peritonsillar abscess drainage?

Updated: May 09, 2018
  • Author: Jeffrey D Suh, MD; Chief Editor: Arlen D Meyers, MD, MBA  more...
  • Print


In a study out of the Eastern Virginia Medical School looking at 83 consecutive children with PTA, 56% were discharged the same day as treatment; the remaining 44% required admission for intravenous fluids and postoperative airway observation. The decision to hospitalize for intravenous hydration, pain control, and airway monitoring was individualized and based on the child's age, comorbidities, family resources, and the patient or family's ability to obtain and administer antibiotics, pain medications, and fluids on an outpatient basis. The overall mean stay was 0.9 days. [22]

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!